Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fieldwork Project

I plan on doing my fieldwork project on worship music in Christian churches around Providence. I have yet to determine a site in which to engage in any sort of participant observation, but I am aiming to study the pop-styled worship music is non-liturgical. This means music that is considered "contemporary" and has been written recently (within the past 50 years), and can be found in church services as well as youth groups, Sunday school, and other extra-service religious activity. As such I'm going to steer clear of Catholic and Episcopalian congregations as well as styled choirs. More to come soon.

1 comment:

Joshua said...

You seem to indicate that there are (or might be?) many such groups around, something of which I have little doubt, and it leads me to wonder how they view each other, or if they view each other. How do people end up in different groups, if there are different groups? Is it a choice made on denominational grounds alone, or are there musical considerations? Do those things, themselves, line up in predictable ways?